Re: Linux NIS security problem hole and fix

Joerg Czeranski (joerg.czeranski@informatik.tu-clausthal.de)
Fri, 8 Sep 1995 00:57:04 +0200

Ken Weaverling <weave@hopi.dtcc.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>
> OK, here it goes... Ya know how you put +, -, and @ entries in /etc/passwd
> to incorporate stuff from an NIS map?  Well, you can login with that
> entry too.   + is a damn easy login to try, since most /etc/passwd files
> using NIS use an entry like...
>
> +:::::
>
> ... as the last line.
>
> This is why just disabling NIS is not enough. If you forget to remove these
> entries from /etc/passwd, you are screwed.
>
> The fix is to put a * in the password field of the NIS entries. This prevents
> login from the local /etc/passwd but doesn't lock the incorporated NIS
> entries (a bit inconsistent, but oh well)  example:
>
> +:*::::

But beware: on other implementations of NIS (notably SunOS, Solaris,
Ultrix and Dec Unix (OSF/1)) this entry has a different meaning:
it indeed means to include the NIS passwd map and replace the password field
with "*", i.e. lock all the passwords.

On those implementations the only correct entry is "+::::::" (or
"+::0:0:::", as the UID and login-GID field can't be overridden).
It is also often valid to drop the trailing colons and simply
use "+".

Anyway it seems to be rather non-trivial to add NIS to a libc, as
the correct behaviour seems to be documented only by "the way SunOS does
it is right".

> CERT advised me of the above fix. They couldn't test the fix since they
> don't have a LINUX machine anywhere. Pretty incredible that no one at
> CERT runs a free Unix that can run on a 386 with 4 megs...

Not that much incredible if you take into account that Linux is a kernel,
not an OS, and that a very high percentage of security-relevant bugs
are discovered in libraries, tools and configuration files.

CERT would have to run at least all of the major distributions,
and each in a variety of configurations (with NIS added and without),
to be in a position to really support Linux.

It wouldn't hurt if they ran the current Slackware (or whatever is the
most often used distribution) in some standard configuration though.

joerch

--
Joerg Czeranski                 EMail czeranski@informatik.tu-clausthal.de
Osteroeder Strasse 55                 czeranski@rz.tu-clausthal.de